Pages

Friday 9 May 2014

Apple tartlets

These gorgeous apple tarts are one of my husband’s favourite desserts. They look beautiful and taste sensational. I came up with this dessert after seeing several rosette tart photo’s  and I thought to myself what a great idea.


The pastry is very short, ie. it’s very buttery and crumbly, and it's my go to pastry recipe. I have used this pastry as a base for several other tarts I made before. Most of the rosette tarts recipes I've read either don’t have a filling or uses custard for filling. I really wanted this dessert to taste as amazing as it looks, so I decided to make apple compote for the filling. Compote is French for mixture (generally fruit mixture).



My version of apple compote (enough to fill 6 individual tartlets)

1 apple, cored, peeled and diced
1/2 cup water
1 ½ tbs spoon brown sugar
1 tbs ground cinamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Few drops vanilla essences
1 tbs lemon zest

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes.  Mash all the apples unit it resembles a smooth paste. 



Finally, dress up your tarts by thinly slicing apples, place them into a bowl and coat it with ground cinnamon and sugar. Slightly cook them in a pan so they become soft enough to assemble. Fill your tart shell with compote, and assemble your sliced apples to form a rose shape. I also like to bake the finished tart in oven unit the sliced apples become crispy.


Vanilla ice cream goes really well with this warm apple tart.

1 comment :