Pages

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Friands

A Friand is a small French cake, typically made from almond meal and egg whites. It is a very rich little cake and tastes just heavenly. I had fallen in love with friands a few years ago, I first tried them at a coffee shop I would normally get my morning coffee from before going to work. Then one day I had decided to try this interestingly oval shaped cake and from then on I could not resist from getting my daily dose of friands.


Sadly I had to ditch the hazelnut syrup from my latté and settle for a normal latté so I can then enjoy my little friand otherwise it would have been sugar overload.


Friands are dense and moist in texture and make a delightful treat for an afternoon tea or even something to snack on throughout the day (if you want to be naughty). I have added vanilla, lemon juice and rind to give and extra dash of flavour but the variations for Friands are endless. Blueberries and raspberries are amongst popular choice of fruits to add to your friands. Even diced pears and apples would work well too. I personally like adding orange juice and rind to give it a nice citrus flavour.



There are speciality pans available to bake your friands in. they come in metal bake-ware as well as silicon moulds. They can be found in most retail outlets or online. I have used a mini friand pan because I love my treats petit.




No comments :

Post a Comment